Mr Paul Ursell MBBS MD FRCOphth is one of the UK’s leading cataract surgeons and has devoted his professional career to improving cataract surgery to make it safer and easier for patients. He has personally performed over 7,000 cataract operations in a career spanning 25 years. He has developed a patient friendly ‘no needle, no patch’ technique for cataract surgery that is now taught across the NHS.
As one of the few surgeons to be awarded an MD degree on modern cataract surgery he has published over 20 peer reviewed papers on cataract surgery. Paul is frequently invited to lecture in the UK and overseas at scientific meetings on cataract surgery as an acknowledged Key Opinion Leader. He served for 9 years on the Council of UKISCRS (United Kingdom & Ireland Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgeons), three of them as Treasurer. In the past he has been Lead Clinician in his NHS department at Epsom & St Helier Hospitals and now supervises the team that performs over 2,500 cataract operations each year. Paul is the Royal College of Ophthalmologists representative to the EU, and Vision 2020 lead for dementia and sight loss. Other roles are as an Honorary Consultant at the Royal Marsden Hospital, a Trustee of SeeAbility and Liveryman of the Worshipful Company of Spectacle Makers.
Paul studied Medicine at St Mary’s Hospital in London and trained in cataract surgery at St Thomas’s Hospital, London, Oxford University as a Clinical Lecturer and as Fellow at the Lions Eye Institute, Australia before taking up his full time NHS consultant post at Epsom & St Helier Hospitals in 2002.
View this RNIB film about Paul Ursell and having a cataract removed.
Pauls other roles
- Honorary Consultant Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust
- Royal College of Ophthalmologists representative to the Dementia & Sight Loss Interest Group for Vision 2020
- Royal College of Ophthalmologists: Ophthalmology Section National Delegate at Union Européenne des Médecins Spécialistes (UEMS)
- Judge for Cataract Research Posters at College Congress
- Invited lecturer and trainer at international congresses including Asia Pacific Association of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons (APACRS) and the European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons (ESCRS)
- Treasurer of the UK and Ireland Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons (UKISCRS)
- Trustee of SeeAbility
- Liveryman at the Worshipful Company of Spectacle Makers
Karen has been working for Mr Ursell for over 10 years. She co-ordinates scheduling of your appointments, surgery timings and provides information about surgery and billing. Over the years, many patients have commented on Karen’s gentle, professional and reassuring manner. She has dealt with all types of queries and issues about surgery and can be relied on to deal with any eventuality with calmness and discretion. She is highly adept at dealing with all parts of scheduling and managing your time with us, including the needs of patients from overseas.
“Woke up to a bright new world this morning, can see perfectly. Thank you.”Mrs JS
“Everything is sharp. I can see all the lovely colours I’ve been missing!”Mr B, Epsom
“Colours are bright, everything is very clear! I read a book very easily.”Annonymous
Contact us today
If you would like more information or wish to book an appointment please contact us.